Sunday, April 03, 2005

NY City on a dime...

... well not quite.

Well it's been a few days since we got back from NYC and I figured I'd put up a note about it.
The trip was a present to Glitzier for her birthday since she has always wanted to see the opera, Carmen.

The trip was good even though I was sick for most of it. Glitzier has a better description of the actual events. I'm just adding my 'version' here.

I took off Wed cause I didn't want to bother with work that day. I didn't actually have it off I just decided to not work that day. It was an easy day and we actually made it to the airport on time only to find the plane was delayed due to bad weather. We were one of the few flights that made it in to LaGuardia that evening.

When we got in there we were approached by a man asking if we needed a car to take us to the hotel. I agreed and we headed out. I mention this because Glitzier was concerned with getting a ride from someone that we didn't know and didn't look like they were from a major company. I didn't care for some reason and watched Glitzier as she worked to keep her calm and not yell at me while trying to determine if this guy was for real or going to take us to some abandoned warehouse and rob us.

Everything was ok and we made it to the hotel by 3am. It made for a late start the next day but we didn't have a set schedule so that was ok.

The highlight of the trip for me was being able to see the Lockheed A-12 Blackbird.

It's being housed on the deck of the decomissioned aircraft carrier USS Intrepid.

Later we had the fortune of meeting thephoenixnyc on Friday night. He's actually the first person I've met from the Internet and I've been using it since the days of the TRS-80. He's a great guy and a prime example of how nice the people in NYC are.

Unfortunately things went downhill from there. It seems that the flu that is going around at work caught up to me and hit me hard late Friday night. Based on the apparent incubation period that I've seen in the other people that have it, I caught it from a coworker that couldn't stay away while he was sick because he feels the world would end if he was not there.

Anyway, I spent all of Saturday in bed at the hotel so that I would be able to survive going to the opera.

The opera was great and we both enjoyed it. Afterwards I spent the rest of the trip in bed while Glitzier went around the town.

The plane flight back was bad. The plane was constantly changing altitude to try and find a good flight path due to the storms and the pressure in my head wouldn't clear.

In spite of everything it was a good trip for me but not as good as it could have been. The only thing I have left to do is find a way to extract the cost of the trip from my coworker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home